5. Mental Model Diagrams as Opportunity Maps
About Archive Access
The Archive Access option lets you watch the recorded classes from the last time Indi recorded the course. Typically, this will be the class recordings from the previous year.
Archive Access provides a way for you to experience Indi’s course content on your own schedule, without waiting for the next Live class offering.
- Access to previous course recordings: 6 months
- Answer sheets for self-review of homework
- Downloadable slide decks
- Detailed timestamps of recordings
- Examples, exercises + other materials
- Membership in the Slack community
About this course
Opportunity maps are tools for design strategy & inclusivity. They force you to look at your solutions through the perspective of people trying to accomplish their own purposes.
The other courses in this series cover how to create the diagrams. This is how to use them.
Opportunity maps are a powerful, mind-blowing way to see where you are making assumptions and decide how to methodologically, consciously, purposefully patch them. In this course, you’ll get to explore many examples of how organizations in software, manufacturing, insurance, higher education, and tech have discovered new clarity and product directions over the past decade. You’ll learn how to layer data from other research on the diagrams. You’ll see how to find gaps and weaknesses, measure progress, and even create scenarios for different thinking styles to help you create multiple ways for people to achieve their purposes.
Organizations use opportunity maps to clarify and categorize the potential paths hidden in front of them.
Above the horizontal line of a mental model diagram is a city-skyline picture of how the people you support think their way through their purpose. Mapped below street level, under each building, is the foundation, containing everything your organization does to support each tower. These diagrams are long-lived; each year you will add a little more knowledge to them. You will see a little further into your future. You can layer data from other research on top of the towers, measure progress toward better support for each thinking styles, and fill in the gaps beneath towers your organization is positioned to support. It’s an incredible way to confidently, systematically discover your potential.
You will learn how to:
- practice the neutral mindset of understanding people as people
- map your org’s capabilities to the towers in a mental model diagram
- look at your products & services through the perspective of people trying to accomplish their purpose
- analyze gaps & weaknesses from the perspective of the people you seek to support
- discover if your support is skewed to one thinking style, and if that is unintentional
- create support for perspectives and approaches you had not considered before
- pivot safely and quickly using the opportunity map
- measure how well you are truly supporting people
- create a matrix of scenarios for clarity in what “support” really needs to encompass
- mesh with JTBD and Design Thinking, providing richer, longer-lived data to feed process
*Pricing Level Details
Regular – When your organization will cover the cost, e.g. your boss is paying
Government/Military/Non-profit – When a government, military, or non-profit organization is covering your education cost
Out-of-Pocket – When you will NOT be reimbursed for the cost by anyone; also use this if you are a member of a union and your boss is not paying
Extreme Currency Exchange – Not in the US? When your purchasing power is at an extreme disadvantage with the US dollar, we have much bigger discounts. We want to include folks in Brazil, India, Ukraine, Russia, Malaysia, etc.
Previous Course Participants – For people who have previously purchased access to one of Indi’s courses and want to review the materials.
Q & A
Q: When will the archived course be updated with the newest version of the course?
A: Indi updates the archive after each time she teaches the course. Typically this will be about 8 weeks after the Live course start date.
Q: When is the next Live course start date?
Q: If I have questions about the course content, will Indi answer them for me?
A: While Indi may or may not have time to directly answer your questions, asking a question in the Slack community will give Indi, her team, and many other Slack members a chance to see the question and respond to it.
Q: Does taking the Archive Access course count toward Indi’s Problem Space Certificate Program?
A: No, only taking the Live courses counts toward the certificate.