1. Listening Deeply
About Archive Access
The Archive Access option lets you watch the recorded classes from the last time Indi recorded the course. Typically, this will be the class recordings from the previous year.
Archive Access provides a way for you to experience Indi’s course content on your own schedule, without waiting for the next Live class offering.
- Access to previous course recordings: 6 months
- Answer sheets for self-review of homework
- Downloadable slide decks
- Detailed timestamps of recordings
- Examples, exercises + other materials
- Membership in the Slack community
About this course
Listening deeply is a powerful skill. Most people don’t realize they are listening at the surface, so the experience doesn’t seem to shift anything. This course teaches depth. (The classes in this course are each 2.5 hours long.)
Do you know how to get past the surface to listen at depth?
Listening has so many applications: developing relationships, forming rapport, connecting with people, seeing new perspectives. While these may sound too mystical to apply in your org, any hope of improving support for people, teamwork, or leadership is rooted in being able to shape relationships. Listening is the foundation for inclusivity, new market opportunities, and powerful team efficiency. I make sure professionals have the skills to wield the empathetic mindset when they are feeling confronted by someone who has different values. If a professional has the awareness to recognize then they are reacting, judging, or being triggered, they can hit the mental pause button and decide what to do next.
The empathetic mindset does not mean you have to feel warmth for another person. The words “understand” and “comprehend” do not mean “adopt” or “agree with.”
It may seem counter-intuitive to take time to listen when you want to solve, but it’s foundational. In product & service design, listening deeply allows you to learn other people’s thinking and approaches to the purposes your organization intends to support. It is the path to discovering whole new markets and opportunities. To this point, listening deeply is the way to create a mental model diagram or thinking styles. These let you consider how well you are helping people achieve their purpose using an approach matched to them. Listening is the key.
You will learn how to:
- Identify the ways you already listen
- Discern surface from depth when you are listening
- Start a listening session & recognize when it’s over
- Develop rapport & trust with the speaker
- Get past the surface to depth
- Prepare for formal research studies
- Deal with uncooperative or aggressive speakers
Expect homework to take about one hour a week. (Some people invest less time or more time, depending on their context.)
- Homework #1: Build your awareness of how you currently listen in real work and life. Practice paying rapt attention.
- Homework #2: Connect a person’s purpose to the reason for listening. Start a listening session based on a purpose.
- Homework #3: Run at least one formal listening session. Develop rapport & trust, get the speaker to go deep, recognize when it goes out of scope, and recognize when the session is “done.”
*Pricing Level Details
Regular – When your organization will cover the cost, e.g. your boss is paying
Government/Military/Non-profit – When a government, military, or non-profit organization is covering your education cost
Out-of-Pocket – When you will NOT be reimbursed for the cost by anyone; also use this if you are a member of a union and your boss is not paying
Extreme Currency Exchange – Not in the US? When your purchasing power is at an extreme disadvantage with the US dollar, we have much bigger discounts. We want to include folks in Brazil, India, Ukraine, Russia, Malaysia, etc.
Q & A
Q: When will the archived course be updated with the newest version of the course?
A: Indi updates the archive after each time she teaches the course. Typically this will be about 8 weeks after the Live course start date.
Q: When is the next Live course start date?
Q: If I have questions about the course content, will Indi answer them for me?
A: While Indi may or may not have time to directly answer your questions, asking a question in the Slack community will give Indi, her team, and many other Slack members a chance to see the question and respond to it.
Q: Does taking the Archive Access course count toward Indi’s Problem Space Certificate Program?
A: No, only taking the Live courses counts toward the certificate.