How long does it take?
Each time we conduct a study, it includes 5 participants per behavioral audience segment. You can start small and aggregate over time.
- frame the scope: begin with careful exploration of why you are seeking deeper understanding and what combination of thinking style + purpose you want to study (1 week)
- recruiting & screening: find and qualify candidates (2 weeks)
- conduct listening sessions: approximately an hour with each participant (2 weeks); optional field visits (when topic is physically habitual): add concepts that didn’t come up in listening session (+2 weeks)
- mental model diagram: the city skyline top half of an opportunity map:
- informal synthesis: write summaries from memory, capturing the most salient concepts; create diagram from these summaries (1 week)
- formal synthesis: create transcripts from session recordings, comb & summarize transcripts capturing 100% of the concepts; create diagram from these summaries (3 weeks)
- thinking styles: personas-sans-demographics; write participant descriptions, compare unique concepts to form participants into groups, write descriptions for each thinking style (1 week)
- opportunity map alignment: add organization’s capabilities (competition, dependencies, other data) beneath each tower it supports (1 week)
- opportunity discussion: map out and combine opportunity spaces; discuss prioritization; conduct gap analysis and strength/weakness review; communicate depth of knowledge to set the stage for your ideation sessions.
- Different Approaches to Losing Weight (behavioral audience segments indicate different solutions)
- Google Analytics (researching the risk out of launching a product)
- Re-using Existing Data (new UX director pulls together a whole picture)
- Mental Modeling: A Qualitative Method for Mapping Audience Behaviors and Designing Social Marketing Initiatives (improving social welfare by changing individuals’ beliefs and behaviors)
- The Effect of Online Chronic Disease Personas on Activation: Within-Subjects and Between-Groups Analyses (behavioral audience segments clarify researchers understanding)
- Review of Epocrates new Electronic Health Record (designed from the ground up for physicians)
my own examples
- Deciding to Attend a Performance (analysis currently in process)
- Near-Miss Accidents (to be released 2018)
- Eat, Smell, Prey (the dog mental model diagram)
- I Can Haz … (the cat mental model diagram)
- Moviegoer mental model diagram (from the book Mental Models)